This year started with rumor mills about the Samsung Galaxy S9, but finally, they have yielded. It’s now official that the long-awaited S9 will be announced in February this year at the MWC. According to online leaks, this new device will resemble its predecessor the Galaxy S8. Through the images, the S9 plus will have a vertical dual camera setup like the iPhone X while the S9 will sport a single camera. Although the images don’t reveal much, one thing is clear the S9 will have a shiny glass body design with a repositioned fingerprint scanner. Unlike Apple, Samsung seems to carry on with the fingerprint authentication.
Olixar, a case maker already revealed their accessories for the S9 and the S9 plus with its screen protectors having the same dimension seen in their predecessors. Also, the Bixby button will also be available on both the S9 devices. Other rumors, courtesy of China’s Weibo reveal that Samsung might release a 512GB model, but it will be temporary and also offered in only select markets. During the Consumer’s Electronic Show (CES), Samsung’s boss confirmed that the S9 would be launched at the Mobile World Congress this coming February with the sales date to be announced during the same event.
The S9 devices will also support most cellular band in the US as they have appeared on the FCC website with model numbers SM-G960U and SM-965U for the S9 and S9 plus respectively. Last week, a tipster Evleaks released the schedule for the release of the devices on twitter.
According to a report by the Korea Herald itis expected that the devices will debut Samsung’s much hyped processing unit which will give the devices some advanced AI features; the Neural Processing Units (NPU). Although in its early stages, the NPU has reached the technological levels which are currently found on Apple and Huawei. By the time its completed, its will surpass the rivals and set new standards for AI.
courtesy of a leaked S9 box from Weibo, the S9 devices are purportedly to have the following specs.
- Screen dimension of 5.8” / 6.2” equipped with a QHD and a Super AMOLED curved display (570ppi / 529ppi).
- The S9 will run on Android Oreo.
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 (US) / Samsung Exynos (UK) will power the devices coupled with a 4GB/6GB RAM and a 64GB/128GB / 64GB/128GB/256GB of internal storage.
- Rear mounted fingerprint.
- Bixby AI assistant with dedicated button.
- Wireless charging and also support USB-C and a 3.5mm headphone jack.
- 12MP Dual Pixel camera with OIS (f/1.5, f/2.4) / Vertical dual rear-facing camera
- IP68 water and dust resistance.
- Updated DeX docking station and an FM tuner.
There’s no word on their pricing yet but since the MWC is just a month away, soon we’ll know.